** REGISTRATION for SUMMER 2015 OPENING SOON IN MARCH**
Summer Camps 2015
NEW THIS YEAR! ACADEMIC CAMP OPTIONS FOR YOUTH (Ages 10-17)
Spanish Summer Youth Camp (ages 10-13): June 8-July 2, 1:30-5:00 PM. Cost: $640 + $50 materials and registration processing fee. Sibling discount available. Registration form and other details here.
Classics Youth Camp "Meet the Romans" (ages 10-13): June 8-12, June 22-26; half day morning (8:30-12:00), afternoon (1:30-5:00) or full day (8:30-5:00). Cost: $160 per week half day, $320 a week full day +$50 materials and registration processing fee. Sibling discount available. Registration form and other details here.
Classics Teen Camp "Word Power from Latin and Greek" (ages 14-17): June 15-19, 8:30-5:00. Cost $320 +$50 materials and registration processing fee. Sibling discount available. Registration form and other details here.
The Spanish summer camps from the University Language Academy are conceived to promote early second language acquisition through Spanish immersion in a safe, fun and stimulating environment by combining the renowned language teaching expertise of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese with age-appropriate activities. Our teachers are native and near-native speakers of Spanish with experience working with children.
The camps are open to all children ages 4 to 13 who want to explore Spanish as well as for children of Spanish-speaking families.
Children will have the opportunity to explore or continue developing the language and gain knowledge of the rich cultural traditions of the Spanish-speaking world through stories, games, songs and crafts while being immersed in Spanish.
- Dates. June 8-July 31
- Times. 8:30 am –noon and 1:30-5 PM (half day); 8:30-5:00 (full day)
- Ages. 4-9 [for ages 10-13 see Spanish Youth Summer Camp above]
- Class size 6-16 students per week
- Program Price. $160/week (half day); $320/week (full day)
- Place. Children's Research Center, 51 Gerty Drive, Champaign (June 9-June 20)
- NOTE: tuition is for full week. We do not have tuition per day and we do not pro-rate tuition per day, except for the week of July 4 this year ($128 half day/$256 full day).
SAMPLE Weekly Themes
- Primer Encuentro (First Encounter)
- ¿Quiénes/Cómo somos? (Who/How are we?)
- Mi Mundo y Yo (My World and Me)
- Nuestra Familia (Our Family)
- Regions: South America, Central America: Spain/Africa, US Latinos
- Culture: Painting, Music, Film, Literature
- Mi Comunidad (My Community)
- ¡Es Tiempo de Vacaciones! (It is Vacation Time!)
- ¿Cómo/En qué vamos? (How do we go?)
- El Mundo Hispano (Spanish speaking Countries)
- Popular Activities. Sports, Cooking, Television, Leisure Travel.
- Travel Destinations and nature and landscapes. Costa Rica (ecoturism, beaches, volcanoes, etc.); Mexico City (educational tourist sites and activities); some place in Texas (tourism about Latino heritage).
The main purpose of our classes is that learners hear, understand and begin to produce Spanish. In order to do this in a meaningful and entertaining way, students perform a variety of activities and tasks. The activities and tasks are the means, while developing ability the language is the aim.
Activities are adapted for age and proficiency level. Activities vary daily depending on teacher style and children’s needs, but the basic daily structure includes:
- Academics. Vocabulary, sentence structure, story-telling; individual/group reading; journal writing (depending on level); listening and doing activities.
- Games. Role playing, board games, card games, computer games
- Music (canto), Theater
- Total Physical Response
- Outside play (including gardening)
- Weekly Group Project
Camps meet for 3.5 hours a day, 5 days a week (Monday-Friday), morning or afternoon; or full time (8:30-5:00).
Snacks and lunch are not provided. Campers MUST bring their own snacks/lunch. We are a nut free environment.
Minimum registration is 2 weeks half day or full day. Select from the following Sessions:
(For full time week, select the two half-sessions for the week)
8:30-12:00 (morning) OR 1:30-5:00 (afternoon); full day (8:30-5:00)
Session 1 (AM)
Session 2 (PM)
Session 3 (AM)
Session 4 (PM)
Session 5 (AM)
Session 6 (PM)
June 29-July 2
Session 7 (AM)
Session 8 (PM)
8:30-12:00 (morning) OR 1:30-5:00 (afternoon); full day (8:30-5:00)
Session 9 (AM)
Session 10 (PM)
Session 11 (AM)
Session 12 (PM)
Session 13 (AM)
Session 14 (PM)
July 27-3 1
Session 15 (AM)
Session 16 (PM)
Materials and processing $50 per camper (minimum 2 weeks: any session, any week, morning, afternoon or full day)
Tuition: $160/week (3.5 hours a day, 5 days a week, morning or afternoon)
$320/week (9 hours a day, 5 days a week).
*The week of July 4th is $128 this year ($104 for sibling).
Families with more than one child in camp at the same time receive a $30 per half day session tuition discount for each additional child ($60 for full time session).(The half day week for a sibling is $130).
Full payment is due at registration. Your child is considered enrolled when the following conditions are met:
- Registration and full payment is made by credit card
- Space remains in the weeks and sessions requested. As camps fill, waiting lists are created on a first come, first served basis.
Registration will be accepted until June 6 for June sessions and until June 30 for July sessions, or until sessions are full. Requests for refunds will be granted after the registration period is over and in the event of cancellation of a session due to insufficient enrollment.
Cancellation of Classes
The University Language Academy for Children reserves the right to cancel any class session that does not have a minimum enrollment (5 students).
Requests for refunds will be honored only until the registration deadline for each session. Full refunds (including materials and registration fee) will be given if a class is cancelled by the University Language Academy for Children.
We understand that plans change. Partial refunds after the start of classes may be allowed. A $30.00 processing fee per cancelled week will be assessed. The $50 materials and processing fee is nonrefundable.
We do not honor refunds by the day because we do not offer tuition by the day. We hire staff, purchase perishable/non-perishable items for activities and supplies for the week based on our enrollment as of the dates stated above. Depending on space and availability, we do allow children to make up classes or weeks.
We foster a positive and safe environment, but discipline problems are not unusual. All children are expected to maintain proper behavior during the camp sessions. If a child displays inappropriate, disruptive, or disrespectful behavior toward teachers and other children, we will first approach the problem through positive discipline. If this is not effective, we will contact the parents. If the disruptive behavior continues, the child will be dismissed from the program and no refund will be given. Parents and children are asked to read, print, and sign the Camper Discipline Policy Form.
Safety and Security
The University Language Academy staff will provide supervision during regular class times for all students. Please indicate on the registration form any special needs your child may have.
- Children are to be picked up at the time that the session ends, at 12:00 and at 5:00.
- A late pick-up fee of $5 will be assessed for each 15 minutes after the hour paid in cash or check to the teacher.
Please complete the following registration form to select the weeks your child/children will attend and to make a payment with a credit card.